Look who was at our HQ, 1 Angel Square, Luis Troyano! 2014’s Great British Bake-Off finalist came to our Taste Centre kitchens to host a masterclass for a lucky few of our blogger friends to help promote our expanded home baking range.
Luis demoed his fabulous chocolate praline tart creation, bursting with orange and hazelnut goodness. He then helped the class create their own – see how they got on in the video below.
Feeling inspired? Try the recipe yourself at home…
Luis Troyano’s Chocolate Praline Tart
This is a quick and easy tart to make. There is no blind baking of the pastry required.
A round short crust pastry tart filled with a chocolate orange hazelnut frangipane. Topped with a whipped liqueur cream, candied hazelnuts and sliced oranges.
You will need a 23cm loose bottom tart tin greased and lined with non-stick baking parchment.
For the tart filling:
500g ready made short crust pastry block
120g Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (warmed slightly in a microwave)
125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs (whisked in a bowl)
1 tbsp plain flour
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
125g ground hazelnuts
50g plain chocolate chips
For the candied hazelnuts:
20 whole hazelnuts
150g caster sugar
For the topping:
350ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp orange liqueur such as Cointreau
- Preheat oven to 160c fan/180c/Gas 4
- Spray the tin with cooking mist to grease. Place a round piece of non-stick baking parchment in the bottom of your tart tin. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of around 3mm on a well-floured surface and line the tin with it. Trim off the excess pastry by rolling the rolling pin across the top of the tart. Place in a fridge while you make the filling.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the whisked eggs, ground hazelnuts, plain flour and orange zest into the creamed sugar and butter and mix briefly until well incorporated.
- Fold in 80g of the chocolate hazelnut spread and chocolate chips until just mixed.
- Take the pastry case and spread the remainder of the chocolate hazelnut spread evenly on the base.
- Place the filling into a disposable piping bag and pipe the mixture evenly over the spread in the tart tin. Level it out using a small palette knife or the back of a large spoon.
- Place the tart on the shelf in the lower half of the oven and bake for about 40 minutes until the filling is risen, set and a skewer placed in the filling comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin, then remove and place on your serving plate.
- Make the candied hazelnuts. Place the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Add the hazelnuts and boil for 20 minutes. Drain with a sieve and spread on non stick parchment to dry.
- Make the topping. Place the double cream and icing sugar in a mixer bowl and whisk for a minute. Add the liqueur and whisk until stiff peaks.
- Place the whipped cream in a disposable piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
- Prepare the oranges. Peel the oranges with a sharp knife and slice into thin rounds.
- Pipe the cream all around the edge of the cooled tart.
- Decorate with hazelnuts on top of the cream.
- Place the oranges in the centre of the tart.