You may have heard, we’re hosting our Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 21st May at Manchester Central Convention Centre and we’d love it if you came in person, or online.
What’s an AGM?
Usually a company’s AGM is where shareholders and bosses come together to discuss the results of the last year and the priorities for the next. At the Co-op AGM, we do the same, only our shareholders are our shoppers who hold a membership card because as a co-op, our members own the business. That means, the AGM is our members’ chance to vote on what they want their co-op, your co-op, to do for the next twelve months.
What happens at 2016 AGM?
The simple answer to that is, a lot. The AGM is in Manchester, home to our support centre, 1 Angel Square and close to the historic home of our Co-op.
The day looks like this:
- Allan Leighton (our Group Chair) will kick the day off.
- Richard Pennycook (our Group Chief Executive) will update you on what progress we’ve made as a Group.
- Stevie Spring (our Chair of the Remuneration Committee) will cover how we pay the senior team.
- Nick Crofts (Council President) will talk about what the Council does.
- Lois McClure (Chair of our Young Members’ Board) will give you an inside look into what they do.
- There’ll be a chance to ask your questions and get some answers from us.
- You get to vote on our AGM motions.
As well as the AGM itself, we’ll have market stalls you can visit to find out more about the work that goes into running the Co-op.
So, can I vote in the 2016 AGM too?
To be invited to vote in the AGM you need be a member of the Co-op (have a Co-op membership card) and have done at least one of the following:
- Spent at least £250 with Co-op Food, Travel or Electrical in 2015
- Hold a Co-op Insurance policy that was valid within 2015
- Have bought a service from Co-op Legal Services within 2015
- Have taken out a Co-op Funeralcare (or Fairways) Pre-Paid Funeral Plan
- Have purchased a Funeral or funeral masonry in 2015 from Co-op Funeralcare
- Have built up at least 250 membership points through trading with Co-op Bank in 2015
You can find out if you’ve done any of these by logging into your Co-op Membership account, online, and going to Member Voting Information. Or, give us a call on 0800 023 4708 and we’ll gladly help you.
However if you are eligible to vote you should receive your voting pack either in the post or by email by May 18th.
If you’ve not received the email do check your junk mail folder for an email from Coemail@example.com
Don’t forget to let us know you’re coming
Just tick the relevant box on your voting form before you send it, either by post or online.
What if I can’t attend the 2016 AGM in Manchester, but I want to be part of it?
That’s not a problem at all, we’ll be updating what’s happening and being voted on, on the AGM floor on Facebook and Twitter.
If you’re an eligible to vote, you’ll be able to watch the AGM live. You can register to watch live here, which will ensure the device you’ll use is ready to receive the live stream. Find out more about the live stream, here.
We’ll also be live streaming interviews with Co-op Group Exec and Board members, as well as our attendees on social media. Follow #coopagm on Twitter and Instagram, and find us on Facebook too.