We’ve set the date when all Co-op members will benefit from the new 5% and 1% rewards – Wednesday 21 September. Eighteen months of hard work by colleagues all across the organisation will come together on this day, as we start sending out the new membership cards.

It will take a few weeks for all the cards to arrive through letterboxes but the rewards begin straight away whether a member uses their old card or a new one. However, for colleagues it’s different. Your old card will stop working from 23 August so if your new blue card hasn’t turned up yet, call the membership helpline on 0800 023 4708.

Sales up, Co-op brand up

Over the summer, colleagues have been using their new membership cards and enjoying the rewards.

Overall spending is up significantly compared to the same time last summer, and sales of Co-op branded products are way up, too.

But it’s not just the 5% and 1% that’s changing shopping habits. We know that the improvements in our own brand products and the investment we’ve made in reducing prices are also making a big difference to sales. So as we prepare for the big launch all the indicators are looking good.

So far, colleagues have collectively earnt £167,500 for themselves through the 5% reward and £36,500 for their local communities through the 1%. From 21 September you’ll be able to select your local cause wherever you live.

Just imagine how all this will start to look when millions of members are using the card every week.

New%2520cards%2520being%2520printed%2520and%2520envelopes%2520June%25202016

Ready for the conversation

From my own visits to stores in recent weeks I can see how well colleagues understand the new rewards and how keen they are to start explaining them to our members.

That’s going to be our most important job in the days and weeks following 21 September. We have to take every opportunity to tell our members how much better Co-op Membership has just become.

To give our store colleagues more time to have those conversations I’m going to be asking as many of our Support Centre colleagues as possible to lend a hand in store during those important first few weeks.

Thank you to our colleagues for using the new card over the summer and for helping us to make it even better for the big launch. You can read below about some of the improvements we’ve made as a direct result of colleagues’ feedback.

We have a very exciting few months ahead as we see the national response to our new Co-op Membership and watch as local communities start to see the benefits of our better way of doing business.

What we’ve made better thanks to colleagues

We’ve had hundreds of really positive responses about our new membership but colleagues have also given us some really good suggestions and ways to improve.

‘For your Community’ balance

Many let us know that the 1% balance on your membership account was not updating until the next day. This was by design but it’s clear that colleague members would like this to update in real time (as the 5% for you rewards do). We are now building this capability and aim to have it ready for September.

Changing your title

When we launched in July it soon became clear that although colleague members could change their name on their online account they could not change their title i,e Miss to Mrs. This was a mistake and has now been corrected.

Viewing your Divi points

Although we announced last year that the Divi would not be returning until after our Rebuild phase was complete, members have not stopped earning points. These were carried over from the old system to the new but these were not visible on your new membership account. We are currently building this capability and aim to have it ready by September.

Viewing your transaction history

A number of colleagues let us know that they wanted to be able to see their last transactions and how much membership reward they had gained from each one. We have now added this to your membership account so you can keep better track of your rewards.

Richard
Co-op Group CEO

1. can i have a members card to use in your food stores

2. I left the Coop last October completing 38 years service, will i be getting a new membership card?

Also what are the rules regarding staff discount do you lose this once you leave the Coop even after long service ?

3. I am a colleague of the cooperative store and been a member since 1979. It s good to know that over the last couple of years, people s dividends have not been forgotten as customers were losing heart in the system, but to portray this to the general public is a positive way of moving forward. Good partnership within the organisation goes a very long way, good manager positive tiers and also a willing team can contribute a good result In eachoutlet, well done the coop for marketing a new era and positivity in the selling aspect. A great privilege to be part of. Thank you

4. […] just a few weeks until we launch new Membership to our members there really couldn’t be a more important time to make sure we’re all focused on delivering […]

5. Will it still be possible to use a Midlands Counties Co-op Card in Co-operative Group stores, and if so, will check out staff know to accept it as it looks exactly like the current honeycomb card, but with blue writing on it?

6. I have moved house so how do I notify you of this?

• Ring the number on the back of the card tomorrow.

• There should be a freephone 0800 number on the back of your membership card, you can call it and change your address. If you can’t read the number just pop into your local Co-op and they should be able to help you out.

7. In Nothern Ireland context 1% of nothing is nothing. In the past the Co could barely manage thr Community Fund with 11k.

8. I like shoping at the co-op becos i like it

9. […] Step back in time to 8.30am on Wednesday 21 September. Becci Graham and the Membership Contact Centre team are poised and ready to jump onto the phones on one of the biggest days in the Co-op’s recent history – the launch of our new membership. […]

10. […] top the announcement of the new look and member offer at the AGM but when news hit of our 5 million plus new Co-op cards landing on members’ doormats, we hit the headlines for all the right reasons […]

11. […] just 13 days since we launched our new Co-op Membership and the early signs are that our members are loving it. Our colleagues’ enthusiasm, […]

12. […] gives another reason for customers to be Members. And as own brand products, they all earn our new Membership 5% and 1% rewards […]

13. Tried to use my new blue card this morning in my local Eckington Coop and met a problem. Staff in that store new little about it, although my new number did register. The 2 £1 vouchers refused to scan so I decided to void the blue card and will continue to use my old one. I am worried that my existing points will be lost be lost as the numbers on the cards do not match.
    Sounded like a good idea but until staff know what is going on I will stick with the old card.
    Also why send customers vouchers if they are not acceptable by the Midlands Coop.

• Hi John, thanks for your comment. The store in Eckington is owned by Central England Co-operative who are not part of this membership, they run their own membership programme. This will be why the staff weren’t able to advise you about it and why the voucher won’t work. As a Co-op group member you have automatically been sent a new card along with the other 5 million members. The points are still on your account, the account hasn’t changed just the card has changed. You can find out more about how your Co-op Group membership works, and how it works alongside other Co-operative Societies here:http://www.coop.co.uk/terms/membership-terms-and-conditions/#12 ^Catherine

14. […] contact centre, our social media community management team have been busier than usual with the launch of our new membership. We’ve been helping thousands of members and customers understand more about it since it […]

15. Pity about the £1 membership fee

16. I’ve been using my blue card since I recieved it probably 3 weeks now and when I log in it still says £0.00 even though I shop in the co-op everyday when will the card start saving the 5%.

17. Why are there 2 sections to the new card? Am I supposed to split the bottom bit off so that I am left with a normal credit card sized card and, if so, what do I do with the extra bit I have split off or is it supposed to be one big card? Very puzzled.

18. Loving this new members scheme, have earned nearly £10 in just over a month. Sweeeet!
    Would love it if you could add cash to it and save for xmas

19. Hi,can you advise who I should contact to query “missing points” ? Thank you

20. I was advised that I would be receiving an new Membership card in time for 21st September, but it never arrived. Old card number – 633174910718940222.
    I got the letter telling me to Make the Most of my new card, but that card has never arrived at my home.

21. When will the dividends from my old card be transferred to the new one?

22. how do you add your employee number on to your membership card ?

23. As a Co-Op employee with the new blue staff card, do you earn anything for using Co-Op engery based in the mid counties, as I was with GB engery which just went bust and have been switched to Co-Op engery midcounties?

• Hi Marguerite, Midcounties do not participate in our membership scheme so you will not receive the 5 & 1% on this. Thanks, ^Sophie

24. I have been a member of co-op for over 10 years and when I got my new card I enquired about my existing reward vouchers that had gone missing. I was assured that they were playing catch up and they would reappear once thwy were processed “give it 3 to 4 weeks”. since then almost 3 months have passed and I’ve made several calls and its always “call us back next week”. My patience is wearing thin and want to know when I wikl get back my reward vouchers.

25. Can I spend my reward points on all of my shopping in the co op ? Ie wine ect and food ? I have earnt 16 pounds

26. […] we begin our call to join us and our new membership, which sees 1% of members’ spend on Co-op products and services going back to their local […]

27. How long will it be before everyone has the new cards, please?

• If you haven’t yet received one, log into your online account to request a new card via the “lost card” function, your old card has still been accruing your 5% and 1% though ^Jordan

28. I am sorry to be a party pooper but so far out of the 3 different co-op stores I use in our locality not 1 member of staff could explain what the new blue cards earned, were for or that they were phasing out the old dividend cards. In fact the staff in the Co-Op stores in Atherstone, Warwickshire are telling us not to use them because you don’t earn anything and to continue to use the old yellow dividend cards.
    Please can someone explain how this can happen when according to the comments, all of the stores are fully informed on the switchover?

29. I Have been a member and have a card for many years but i have not received a new one. will my existing card still be valid?

30. […] of members would consider buying Co-op own brand pet products, with quality, price, member reward and convenience being the […]

31. The reason ive found myself on this page is because our Local co-op in West Bergholt has various signs up saying that they do not accept the blue membership cards and only take the green ones. I have only just become a member for the reason that I use our local regularly so I was sorely dissapointed to see that they wont be accepting them? Does anyone know why?

32. We bought a Funeral plan last July 2016 from the Co-op costing £7,100 will we stil get our divi on that and when please

33. My local coop is closing and it advises to use up your coop points…how do i do this??

34. […] We’ve now got 4.5 million active members who are active in our Co-op. Active means that they’re buying our products and services and benefiting from the 5% and 1%. […]

35. Still not received new co op card I live in Caistor Linc’s and got a load of receipts saved its been two weeks now still no new card in the post.