Last summer we asked members in Holmfirth and their friends to uncork their inner wine critics to tell us what they love about our range. We gave them 6 bottles of wine to try, some tasting notes, a few surprise goodies and asked them for their feedback.
We were looking to create Co-op wine reviews by real members because our research suggested that ‘wine speak’ and wine experts’ reviews were a real turn off when shopping for wine in Co-op. This wine tasting opportunity was all about trying to talk about our great wines in a way that was more appealing to our members.
We were keen to explore an alternative to expert wine reviews by encouraging our members to find fun ways of describing each wine, for example by asking participants to think about people the wine reminded them of, or what music they’d choose to listen to whilst enjoying a glass.
I’ve loved reading the responses on social media, particularly the contrasting views of members. The majority or those participating suggested a nice soulful track would be the perfect accompaniment to a particular wine, but others opting for serious rock anthems too. We even had some wines likened to Marilyn Monroe, Cruella De Vil and Nora Batty.
I’ve gone through all the feedback and have worked with our marketing team to produce shelf edge labels that include members’ comments directly from these tastings. You can find them in Holmfirth’s Co-op right now.
Here are the top five things that we learned from members in Holmfirth
- Members loved their experience of joining in, giving it a superb 4.54 out of 5
- 96% members said they’d be more likely to buy Co-op wines in the future as a result of taking part
- They thought that all of their friends that joined them in the tasting would be more likely to buy Co-op wines now
- 3.56 out of 4 was the highest rating given to the wines (this was the Les Grandes Costes Pic Saint Loup)
- Every single wine received rankings of 1, 2, 3 and 4 by different groups – suggesting our members have very different tastes
We’d love to hear what you think about having Co-op members’ recommendations appearing on in-store communications, so comment below with your thoughts.
Don’t forget there are lots more ways for you to Join in with your Co-op just log into your account for more details.
Wine Communications Manager