Throughout last autumn, hundreds of our Co-op members joined in to pass their thoughts about pizza onto our chefs.
We set out on a quest to understand where members sit on the great crust debate, which toppings they love and those ingredients believed should forever be banished.
1,385 members completed our online survey and over 100 took the time to leave some great comments on our blog post.
Here’s what we learned
- On average, members declared their love of pizza to be an enamoured 8.4 out of 10
- Whilst there was a marginal preference for restaurant and take-away pizzas, almost a third gave a thumbs up to shop-bought pizzas from the chiller – with plenty citing Co-op offerings as their favourites
- Favourite pizzas are most likely to be topped with cheese, pepperoni, chicken, ham and mushroom
- However, ‘must have’ toppings were tomato sauce and onions
- Pineapple, anchovies, meat, fish and olives were among our members’ least favourite toppings
- Freshness, choice, quality, convenience and price are key to what make our members’ favourite pizzas great
- Thin crust was the most preferred, over thick crust
- Members called for us to develop DIY pizzas and free-from pizzas too
- Olives, chicken, peppers and mushrooms are the ‘Marmite’ of pizza toppings – loved and loathed equally
Our next steps are to start working on some ideas and to ask a smaller number of members to get involved in something a bit different like an at-home pizza party for them and their friends. We’ll have more details to follow, so keep checking Join In.
In the meantime, I’d love to hear your thoughts on what we heard from members. Does the general member view of pizza chime with yours, or do you love nothing more than pineapple and anchovies on a thick crust? Add a comment below.
Don’t forget there are lots more ways for you to Join in with your Co-op just log into your account for more details.
Chilled Food Buyer