Just before Christmas we asked our pet-owning members to take the lead as we set out to review our pet product range.
We heard from almost 400 members online, but the opportunity also provided us with a great excuse to get out to walk and talk with some of our members and their four-legged friends. I was delighted to welcome 17 dogs and their owners to the store I manage in Marford, from where we set off on a walk through our beautiful local countryside to talk about how they used the Co-op for their pet product buying.
It was great to hear, straight from the dog’s mouth, how members were using the store – what they liked about the range and what their priorities for a future range might be. Members were pleased to have a local opportunity to feed into the business’ national plans on a subject close to their hearts.
They also loved the chance to meet up, chat and socialise their dogs. So much so that it’s now become a monthly gathering!
Here’s what we learned from our ‘walk and talk’ and the online survey feedback:
- Price, convenience and quality are King when it comes to pet-owners’ buying decisions
- Pet preferences are also very important – ‘pets liking the product’ being the second most mentioned reason by members who purchased from the Co-op frequently or occasionally. Conversely, ‘not stocking preferred products’ was given as main reason for not shopping with us
- 78% of members would consider buying Co-op own brand pet products, with quality, price, member reward and convenience being the drivers
- Wider range, higher quality and keener pricing were the things that members wanted to see most from a future pet food range
- Of these, higher quality products were considered the most important factor
- Some suggested that developing healthier Co-op pet treats would encourage them to choose Co-op
Don’t forget there are lots more ways for you to Join in with your Co-op just log into your account for more details.
Store Manager, Marford Hill