We’re looking for special people who share our passion to make great things happen locally. Member Pioneers will bring members, colleagues and local causes together. They’ll know how to listen and inspire other members in their communities to get things done.

We’re starting small and recruiting Member Pioneers in 70 communities. By 2020 we hope to have a Member Pioneer in all 1,500 Co-op communities working with members and colleagues locally.

If you know a member in your community who’d be a good fit or want to find out more about the role of a Member Pioneer, please make sure you visit coop.co.uk/memberpioneer.

How will this support communities?

Our focus on communities isn’t just about the 1% – the money our members can give back to our favourite local causes. Money matters, but people are the real drivers of change.

We recognise how important it is to support our communities practically – encouraging people to come together and developing deeper relationships with members, colleagues and local causes to create one Co-op.

Our new Member Pioneers will be crucial to that.

Thanks for your continued support.

Rufus Olins
Chief Membership Officer

1. hi there i would like to join the coop member pioneers project

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:46 PM, The Co-op Blogs wrote:

> Co-op posted: “We’re looking for special people who share our passion to > make great things happen locally. Member Pioneers will bring members, > colleagues and local causes together. They’ll know how to listen and > inspire other members in their communities to get things d” >

2. I’d be a lot more interested if Co Op hadn’t sold my local store to McCalls. It closes end of next month!

3. A great idea – I’ve been part of the pilot Member Pioneers programme and have seen at first hand how the Co-op and its members can make a real difference in my local community, from beach cleans, helping out at the local homeless charity, as well some social activities such as fair trade food and wine tastings, etc

Looking forward to getting more involved as we move forward.

4. hi I filled in the application but at this moment in time my area isn’t able to apply .How do I register my interest in becoming a member pioneer in my area when it becomes available?
    Christine mcneish ( community pioneer in maybole)

5. CO-OP I am your,biggest fan. Part of my work involves,encouraging people to shop with you because of your committment to Fair trade, zero waste to landfill and community development. So I am very disappointed to see you are paying below the REAL living wage of £8.45/hr for this post. Please reconsider.

6. One good way would be to offer work experience to students in your lixal school. I have been turned down for my students atbthe 2 local coops who both benefit from our students shopping there. I

7. See post above

8. […] you may have seen from Rufus’s blog, on 31st March we started our search for Member Pioneers. We’re looking for people who share our […]

9. I’m the convener for the Berwick Brown Bear project.

I’d hope to be able to considered suitable for being a Member Pioneer…

This is what I started, with a lot of people alongside http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/once-looked-doomed-now-berwicks-12851820

10. Hi I noticed this was being rolled out in Newcastle is it going to be available.at Gateshead?

11. Sorry but try doing so it not let staff working for coop do so as we work for coop now doing the roll in store will only let new members go for the roll .
    Why the need to ask staff to fill out forms for the roll . When we working for the coop and doing that roll now . Not good we work for coop doing that now do why get us to fill in all the forms to work for. Coop when working for coop now. Nuts

12. Hi I applied for the kirkcaldy area, only to be told I was unsuccessful. How can they decide from a filled in form? Was totally gutted. I thought I would gave been given a chance considering I won the northern colleague of the year for doing just that.

13. This sounds amazing! I would LOVE to get involved in something like this! I lead campaigns and am heavily involved in community activities in Northampton, and will be returning to Birmingham next week!
    This is opportunity to take this further!

I am IN! 😀

14. Does local causes include those like me who believed the co-ops promise that if I ‘did them a favour’ and rented their previously empty-fo- 5- years property would ‘save me moving twice’ and be able to buy at a given price once freehold was bought – instead they have raised the price so high, that we cant reach it – issued me with an eviction notice so that my family and I will be homeless in a few weeks time – and priced me out of my own home town after a lifetime of work to afford a house near my family – could have bought any property locally 18 months ago Co-op (already owned a house a mile away and hadnt exchanged contracts when I first made a purchase offer to you) but listened to you and believed you -and waited patiently for you to purchase freehold as promised – now reduced to paying rent probably for the rest of my life as too old and sick to start over.My dear Dad sadly passed away in January, all the time waiting for us to buy this house which his own dear brother built We all love our home, which is in really poor shape (you can see daylight round windows, black mould on upstairs ceilings, guttering hanging across the windows, rotten fascias, havnt closed doors for 18 months to most rooms including the bathroom and bedrooms!)Believing in the Co-ops good intentions has destroyed me and my family financially am now completely demoralised and have no faith in people ‘doing the right thing ‘ any more.I stuck by what I promised to do and rented from you even with my deposit and mortgage port in place – Why would you do this this to a family with children, where the father has had a stroke and is an insulin-dependent diabetic and the mother has dysphasia,neuropathy and Fuchs endothelial dystrophy (going blind).You knew all this when you persuaded us that it would save a good deal of time and trouble to us if we moved in to wait for purchase as our offer to purchase would be be acceptable to you (your words).Had you clearly stated your plan to make us pay rent for over a year, put the price up by over 100,000 pounds which you knew we could not afford and then issue an eviction notice to us so you could auction our home over our heads do you really think we would have moved in here??? What happened to the much publicised Ethics of the Co-op? If you’re looking for local good causes – spare a thought for us co-op -how about funding our home at the agreed original price or even much lower to enable us to stay where you persuaded us to live for the last 18 months? we believed in you and trusted you to behave in an ethical fashion.You have let not only my family but yourselves down too I believe – shame on you! How could you be so heartless and blind to the carnage you have wreaked on our lives! It is 3am – another sleepless night and exhausting day of searching for the impossible – somewhere to rent locally as nothing available we can afford now.In total despair at the unfairness of this and bewildered as to how this has happened to me, having worked hard to own my own property all my life.

• Hi Cheryl, thankyou for your comment. I’m concerned to hear this. Please can you contact our team on 0800 0686 727 they will be able to look into this for you. ^Catherine