The votes are in. It wasn’t quite the foregone conclusion many, including myself, had predicted, but one candidate emerged (a bit grizzly) with the highest share of last week’s vote.

Yes, the bear was duly elected by members.

Almost 1,500 Co-op Members voted to decide which design idea will be worked up to grace the bottle of the first-ever Co-op member-designed wine, when it launches in October. Our grizzly friend took 37% of the vote, with the remainder split almost 50/50 between the other two contenders – the signpost and the photography routes.

This vote wraps up member involvement in the design of our Members’ Choice Pioneer Pinot Grigio, and what a blast it’s been. Since April members have been getting involved choosing the grape varietal we’d be using, suggesting and voting on names, writing tasting notes and coming up with design concepts for the label. Over 3,000 members have been involved in creating this fine drop of Co-op history – a huge thank you to each and everyone of you.

Our designers will now get to work firming up our grizzly design, whilst our winemakers in California will be finalising the wine production, ready to ship the wine across the Atlantic at a steady 14knots – we don’t want to rush it!

And don’t forget, if you took part at all in helping to shape our member wine, you could be in with the chance of winning some fabulous prizes, including a trip for 2 to California! We’ll be doing the draw soon, so keep your fingers crossed and your eyes peeled!

We’ll be posting updates on the wine’s journey to the shelves of your local Co-op right here on the blog, so stay tuned!

Joe Turner
Wine buyer

1. Grizzly bears are extinct in California – only the black bear remains.

Liked by 2 people

• You’re right, the Californian Grizzly Bear is now sadly extinct, but it lives on as an emblem on the Californian state flag. I think it was this, and the bear emblem’s roots in the mid-nineteenth century around the time of the Rochdale Pioneers, that captured members’ imaginations. ^Sophie

2. But are there grizzlies in California?

Sent from my HTC

• The Californian Grizzly Bear is now sadly extinct, but it lives on as an emblem on the Californian state flag. ^Sophie

3. Is the bear winking ?

4. It was not my first choice . However it is eye catching. Although I feel it is more appropriate as a Brand Label for Co-op Honey !!!
    I will buy a bottle and give it a Grizzly Go !

5. I will give my 13% wink wink! lol Bear in mind,this will be good..

6. Grrr! Not my choice, but still it was fun being involved

7. Woo hoo! The one I voted for won 😀

8. But why does it have a ban the nuclear bomb pendant around its neck? I don’t get it!

9. Shouldn’t it be “Members’ Choice” on the label rather than “Member’s choice” – otherwise it is the choice of one member?

• You’ve got a point there, Dan. I’ve just let the team know. I think we’re at the stage of finalising design for print so it may have already been caught. ^Jordan

10. […] a name for the wine, vote for their favourite name, taste the wine, design the wine label and choose the label design that will appear on the […]