319 words approx. 1.5 minutes to read.
Back in the Spring hundreds of members joined in to tell us all about the small producers that are serving up something special in their communities. We’re sponsoring the small producer category of the prestigious Q Food Awards, and were looking to give away five free award entries to small producers our members love.
We randomly selected ten producers from our members’ suggestions and then members voted for the top five, which are:
- Harris Farm Meats, Strathaven
- Yummy Yorkshire, Denby Dale, Huddersfield
- Granny Cool Preserves, Ramsbottom
- Lewis Pies, Swansea
- Tracebridge Sourdough, Somerset
Sadly, none of these went on to become Q Awards finalists, but 5 other producers which our members originally suggested were encouraged to apply and they’re now finalists. These are:
Small Producer Quality Award Finalists:
- Love brownies, Ilkley, nominated by Co-op Member Alexis Rayner of Ilkley who said, “Best brownies ever and fab staff.”
- Bookham Harrison Farms, Rudgwick, West Sussex, nominated by Co-op Member Jane Hector, Brighton who said: Their Sussex Charmer cheese is a fantastically mature cheddar. They are passionate cheese producers.”
- Durham Distillery, nominated by Co-op Member Michelle Pallister of Durham.
Quality Food Award Finalists:
- Porcus, Todmorden, West Yorkshire, nominated by Co-op Member Roy Prior of Hebden Bridge who said: “Delicious sausages and bacon made using traditional methods near to where I live. You can’t beat a good bit of Yorkshire sausage!”
- Wee Isle Ice cream of Gigha, nominated by Co-op Member Ms D Graham of Campbeltown, who said: “Small business making ice cream and now distributing fresh bottled milk to several local shops.”
The awards team is now putting these and all the other finalists through their paces, as the judging panel selects the category winners. Additionally, on 24th October, the Small Producer Quality Award Finalists will be travelling to Co-op’s Support Centre in Manchester and pitching to my colleagues and myself, for the chance to get their products stocked in our stores.
Winners of the Q Food Awards will be announced at a ceremony in London on 9 November.
If you’d like to join in click here to see a full list of the opportunities available now
Category Trading Manager, Local