285 words approx. 1.5 minute to read.

In March we set out on an historic journey with our members. The destination? The launch this week of our first-ever member-designed wine, presenting Members’ Choice Pioneer Pinot Grigio.

In a Co-op first, we handed over the product design reigns to our members and asked them to make all the big decisions about what this wine would look like when it hit the shelves.

Over 3,000 members have helped design this bit of Co-op history – joining in to choose the variety of white wine grape we’ll be using, to suggest a name for the wine, vote for their favourite name, taste the wine, design the wine label and choose the label design that will appear on the bottle

One lucky member, who joined in, will be raising a glass next month from the O’Neill Winery and Distillery in Fresno California, where our members’ wine is produced. Gemma Snook won our prize draw for the trip for two. Whilst there with her mum, she’ll be blending the 2017 vintage wine.

20170912_193247

“I can’t believe I have won this amazing trip to California just by getting involved as a Co-op Member. It’s fantastic to be part of the Pioneer story, visiting the ‘Golden State’ and seeing where Pioneer is produced.” Gemma Snook

Our member-designed wine should now be gracing the shelves of your local Co-op, but in case you’ve not yet seen it, here’s the final label, fresh off the production line.

Member wine label design copy

So, why not raise a glass to our first member-designed wine? What’s more, you could be in with the chance of winning 6 bottles of Members’ Choice Pioneer Pinot Grigio!

Twitter Selfie competition

Take a selfie with your bottle of Members’ Choice Pioneer Pinot Grigio and share on Twitter using #CoopJoinIn to be in with a chance of winning 6 bottles of our first ever member-designed wine!

Only open to Co-op Members aged 18 or over. To enter, follow the Co-op twitter account “@coopuk” and post a “Selfie” with the Members’ Choice Pioneer Pinot Grigio along with the hashtag “#CoopJoinIn” between 8am on Monday 23 October and Thursday 9 November 2017. 1 prize available to be won. Prize is 6 bottles of Members’ Choice Pioneer Pinot (75cl). Max. 1 entry per person. Internet access required and the participant’s Twitter profile must be public. Promoter: Co-operative Group Limited. Full T&Cs apply. Please drink responsibly.

To everyone that’s been involved in our member wine journey – thank you! Together we’ve created something that’s a bit special and I hope you’ll enjoy it all the more knowing that you played a part in its creation.

Joe Turner
Wine buyer

1. Well done! You are credited by your input! Go further! Enjoy!

2. Excellent project! And congratulations to everyone involved.
    But why did the choices not follow the Coop’s ethical position and ensure that the end product could bear the Fairtrade logo?
    I only buy wine from my local Coop if the label carries the Fairtrade logo.

• Hi Alan, in this instance we partnered with a Vineyard in California, which was able to take our members’ wishes into consideration. As California is part of a developed nation, their produce cannot bear the Fairtrade mark. ^Jordan

• Hi I just joined this membership and am amazed by how much you do for people and charities, I’ve been with your bank over 10years and just found out!! I’m really impressed that you let your customers design and flavour your wine, that’s total 100% full faith in your customers and I’ve never seen that before, anywhere!!! I’d love to have won this win as it looks brilliant and who doesn’t want to say they’ve been the first to try the wine that a bank and shop etc totally trusted their customers with flavours bkend and design, this is why I love banking with you guys and have started shopping with you guys too, you not only look after us your customers but you implicitly trust the feedback and trust and listen to any recommendations customers give you, this is why I’ll be banking (and now shopping with you for life) forget Asda pahvtheir customer servuce isn’t great, and the rest I see below them, ( they were my previous favourites) I’ll be looking out for this wine in stores, in fact I hope you one day bring a local store to Beverley Road (near Asda Aldi and Tesco, all Expresses) just not much variation, least yours is unique, sorry for long post haha

3. On the label shown in the article above the front says suitable for vegetarians and vegans – yet the back says cleared using gelatine.
    Please can you explain, as these two statements don’t make sense together.

• Hi Isobel, the product doesn’t contain gelatine, but gelatine is used as part of the refining process. ^Jordan

• Hi Isobel, sorry for the confusion with this. The front label to which you refer was an early iteration and is not the final label. The final label does not carry ‘suitable for vegetarians and vegans’ as you can see from the main blog image. Pioneer Pinot Grigio is not vegan but our wine buyer Joe is at the vineyard next week working on next year’s vintage and I have fed in yours and other members requests for it to become vegan and he will be picking this up. To avoid any further confusion we’ve updated the out of date label above.

Terry
      Co-op Join In Team

4. Disappointed it’s cleared with gelatine. No good for the vegetarians or vegans who shop with you 😔

5. Such effort and time but not Vegan !!! What a shame 😒

6. Great idea as I really believe in the ethos of the coop. It was a shame to have so much bad press regarding the higher management which truly shocked me, but the coop has dated strong and come through it. Thankyou and well done!

7. At the end of the day its up to the individuals to see if they like the wine or not. A great idea to get the co_op members involvement. In this.

8. If it tastes as good as it looks it will sell really well I feel sure. It was not my first choice of label but it does look good . Great exercise to get the members involved with the naming !! Well done.
    Also retired staff members are not always informed when stores are doing the occasional staff double discount often at the lead up to Bank holidays. Is there a way it could be posted in advance on a blog or similar ? Many Thanks . Tom Maddison

• Hi Tom. Thanks for the kind words about the wine. We update our colleagues on the Colleague Facebook when there is a Double Discount event. Hope that helps. ^Ian

9. So very disappointed that it is not suitable for vegetarians. I am so surprised that you did not take this in to account

• We have many wines that are, Carol. Hopefully you’ve seen wine range before in store, they’re very easy to identify as they’re clearly labeled with a “V”. Thanks, ^Ian

10. Hi this seemes like such a good idea very badly let down at present by using gelatine. In these more suposedly enlightened times this kind of continuation of unrequired animal products is failing to suport more healthy and natural food choices. This is short term commercialism and should not be supported by Coop. Vegan and vegetarian diet is not just a choice it is a way to suport reponsible food manufacturers and retailers.

• Hi Stephen. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. We have many Vegan wines at the Co-op which you may already know about but would highly recommend checking them out when you’re next in store. They’re all clearly labeled. ^Ian

11. Hi can I get my membership card on an app as I don’t carry a purse with me so local charities are missing out as I don’t use my card and I use our local shop everyday

12. The girls in the shop say they think there is an app but I can’t find anything