271 words approx. 1.5 minute to read.

Last week a new Co-op opened close to where I live in Whittle-le-Woods, Lancashire. It’s special to me because I helped to bring it to my community, through Co-op’s Suggest a Site. Suggest a Site is a way for Co-op Members let the Co-op know where they want to see new shops, plus if your suggestion is successful you receive £500 worth of Co-op vouchers as a thank you.

BLOG, SUGGEST A SITE1

I’ve been a Co-op Member for about five years and think the scheme is fantastic. I like it because it really makes me feel like part of my community; I get something back when I shop there and local causes do too.

I shop at the Co-op fairly regularly, but we didn’t have one near us so I went online to have a look for any upcoming developments and that’s how I came across suggest a site.

The site that I chose was the location an old pub that had been closed for a number of years. It’s on a main road with lots of houses nearby and plenty of space for parking. My children go to the local scout group that is just over the road and I thought it would be a perfect location for a store.

It took me less than 15 minutes to fill in the form – I just had to provide some information about myself and the site – and that was it. Now I’ve got £500 worth of Co-op vouchers that’ll come in very useful for Christmas. I definitely think other Members should give it a go, you never know what the outcome will be.

Richard Williams
Co-op member, Lancashire

1. Are the co op opening a store in Clophill Bedfordshire

2. Hi Claire, not according to the information I have here. Have you heard different? ^Jordan

3. Hi. Can you confirm if you are opening in Claughton on Brock ? We are hoping so

4. hi. just wanted to ask about the co op that is meant to be built in Baslow where the rutland arms is. is it still happening and when?

5. Hi,

Any update as to what is happening with the Shortlands site in Beckenham Lane? Is the new store going ahead? There is no work going on and the ‘New Co-op Store Opening’ signs were taken don a few weeks ago now? Puzzled, as there is a desperate need for a decent convenience store in the area.

• Hi Nick, the Beckenham Lane store hasn’t been agreed yet, so the launch date has been pushed back I’m afraid. ^Siobhan

6. Yes – I saw the signs appear and disappear. Started to think I’d been imagining things. Please come to Shortlands!

7. Shortlands Co-op?

Does anyone know if the Shortlands proposed Co-op is still going ahead? There were signs put on the hoardings last week, but these have since been abruptly removed! Is this still going ahead? Shortlands must be one of the biggest local populations without a decent convenience store!

8. […] you’d like to find out more about the suggest a site scheme, read Richard Williams’ blog post about why he likes Membership and how he feels about seeing his suggested shop open and serving […]

9. It’s great when communities get the new stores they need, what’s not good is when communities get new stores they don’t want or need to the detriment of another community assets. The co op are going to make the only community pub we have in our village unviable by building in the car park and garden of our village pub. You work with the Red Cross to combat loneliness in communities yet in our village you will be creating it, the pub will never survive with the garden and lots of events and functions for next year have already been cancelled. The pub has an ACV the council have never known so many objections and attendance at council meetings with the chambers bursting with people standing, it’s been spoke about twice in select committee in parliament and the press and radio coverage has been huge, it’s put our village on the map for the wrong reasons. The community are now waiting for the site works to start at anytime, a blot on the gateway to our lovely village that’s going to cause terrible traffic problems and eventually the lose of our grade two listed pub. So thanks for listening to us, the caring sharing co op, and all this to line the pockets of asset stripping greedy pub companies.

10. Have a new co-op but lose my local pub? Stick it where the sun don’t shine. Probably one of the most unethical companies I’ve ever come across. Approaching skint breweries and buying profitable local pubs that have serviced the community for years. Should be ashamed of themselves. Luckily the pub where I’m stood right now is sat right next to a co-op so no immediate fears yet. But when they want to expand? This place will be finished. And for what? Overpriced food and rubbish service. Stick your £500 up your paphole!

11. Whittle Le Woods store is also now my local Co-op. It is great to have a lovely new Co-op store to walk to for my shopping – great range in there and lovely service. I’m very pleased you suggested it.

12. The Co-op obtained a premises (originally Mullion Post Office) and it passed into the control/ownership I believe, at approximately the end of September, in Mullion Helston Cornwall. I believe the building is supposed to be redesigned/ altered etc, and re-open as a Co-op early next year and is to incorporate a post office counter. However, I am wondering why the Co-op have not yet started work on the building?

• Exactly the same situation in Baslow, Derbyshire. The public house building they have permission to alter is a deteriorating eye sore in the centre of the village.

• What makes it worse is the Co-op is supposed to incorporate a Post Office counter, we currently have a temporary mobile one that does not come everyday. I am sorry to hear you have the same situation where you are.