January 13, 2018

Veganuary at your Co-op

840 words, approx 4 mins to read.

It’s veganuary, a month to challenge yourself to become vegan and try a plant-based diet. Whatever your reason, Co-op is here to help you.

We know that finding vegan food conveniently can be a challenge, so to celebrate Veganuary we’ve pulled together some pointers on the options you can find in your local Co-op. You can also get inspired in our January Food Magazine with recipes for Anti-Pasti Burgers, Thai Green Curry and a Vegan All-day Breakfast.

Taking the plunge and switching to a vegan diet can seem tough, but more than 150,000 people are registered to take part in Veganuary this year, so you won’t be facing the challenge alone.

It’s not just hummous and carrot sticks – you can also find vegan wines, new ready meals, doughnuts (In store bakery only) and dairy-free milk.

Find out more about our vegan products at coop.uk/vegan

Meal ideas

Breakfast

Pop in to your local Co-op and grab some soya or coconut milk and your cereal of choice. With more time at the weekend, why not try some of our crusty bread with avocado and tomato on top or mango yoghurt.

Lunchtime

Check out some of our delicious Food to Go salads:

• Vegan Cauliflower & Coconut Meal Pot: mixed grains with cauliflower, coconut milk, broccoli, lentils, red pepper, roasted sweet potato and mango chutney with a blend of spices.
  • Vegan Red Pepper & Kalamata Olive Pasta Salad: Whole wheat pasta in a tomato and harissa dressing with roasted pepper, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, pine nuts and spinach.
  • Falafel & Houmous Salad: Carrot and coriander falafels with cauliflower, bulgar wheat, red onion, baby plum tomatoes, salad leaves, houmous and a spicy harissa dressing.

Or try our Vegan Onion Bhaji Sandwich: Onion bhaji, carrot, spiced cauliflower and sweet potato puree, mango and apricot chutney, Apollo lettuce, steam roasted pickled beetroot and fried onions on white bread with black onion seeds.

We also have some tasty snacks to go: Carrot & Houmous Snack Pack, Falafel & Houmous Snack Pack, Edamame snack pack and Chocolate Ganache Pot.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Dinner time

You can find lots of vegan recipe ideas at http://www.dinner4tonight.com/ and in our latest Co-op Food Magazine. If you’re looking for a quick tea then why not try one of our delicious ready meals or soups.

• Balance Mushroom risotto: Mixed mushrooms with risotto rice, quinoa and brown rice served with butternut squash, spinach and pumpkin seeds. Shortlisted for Good Choice Q awards.
  • Vegetable jalfrezi: Green beans, aubergines, cauliflower, red and yellow peppers in an aromatic jalfrezi sauce made with tomatoes and onions served with cardamom, bay and clove spiced rice.

Or grab yourself a bag of your favourite pasta and have it with one of our tasty chilled pasta sauces; Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce, Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce or Chunky Vegetable.

If you thought vegans didn’t get to eat tasty burgers, these will change your mind…

For a lighter tea, be tempted by one of our chilled soups which are under 150kcal per serving.

• Tomato & Basil 600g: Lentil Dahl 600g: with carrot, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas and lentils.
  • irresistible Tuscan Tomato & Lentil 600g: A Tuscan inspired mildly spiced tomato soup with vegetables, red lentils and du Berry lentils, cannellini beans and orzo pasta.

How can I identify vegan products at Co-op stores?

VEGAN_LOGO

You can easily identify which our of Co-op own brand products by the “V” Vegetarian & vegan symbol.

Let us know what you think about the new products or tell us what your favourite vegan recipes are by tweeting us @coopukfood or tagging us on Instagram @coopukfood, don’t forget to use #Veganuary.

Hints and tips

A vegan tipple

Did you know that we clearly label whether our wines are vegan? You can find out more on our website. Visit drinkaware.co.uk for the facts about alcohol.

Staying healthy

If you are following a vegan diet, make sure you are keeping a balanced intake of all your key food groups– the Government’s Eat Well guide shows you what your breakdown should be and encourages us to eat more beans and pulses – there are some great ways to get protein through beans, pulses and nuts.

Why try vegan?

Moving towards a more plant-based diet can have benefits for your personal health and the health of the planet. The lower the meat, fish and dairy content, the lower the environmental impact – and the more important it is that reduced meat intakes are replaced with increases in the quantity and diversity of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans and pulses.

If you want to find out more about some of the environmental and health benefits of reducing meat intake check out the Eating Better Coalition website.

You can also calculate your carbon footprint and see how you match up against the UK average.

For information on following a vegan diet, check out the Vegan Society or the Eating Better websites

Aoife McKernan
Assistant Diet and Health Manager

1. It’s wonderful to read so many positive comments on a post referring to veganism. Thank you for a great read and for for increasing vegan options throughout your stores! I have to second Jon’s vegan comments! VioLife cheese would be fab x

2. I would like to see vegan cheese too! A tasty one please! Violife is good! 😊

3. It’s great that the Co-op are stocking more vegan products and I love the clear labelling. I don’t usually shop at the Co-op but will search out my local store and check it out!

4. This is a great article! I love shopping at my local Co-Op for my vegan food. Hummus and doughnuts are usually my go-to buys. So many options for us vegans.

Sophie
    Insophiesmind.com

5. I have been vegan just over a year now, and would never go back, I work and shop in my local co-op, so would be amazing if you could start doing your own vegan cheese, it’s the one thing I always have to go elsewhere for.

6. What a helpful and enticing post! It makes me very hungry!
    It’s unbelievable the huge amount of vegan options that can be found over there.
    Thank you for listing all these products and tips with links in one single post.

7. Fab ! And coop will always be in every vegans heart with the amazing custard doughnuts !

8. It’s great to see more and more supermarkets stocking more vegan products and cashing in on the vegan pound. Wherever a new vegan product pops up it’s soon all over the social media within the ever growing vegan community so if a supermarket supplies the widest range or the best vegan products – that’s where the hoards of vegans head to. Oh yeah stock loads if it’s good as there are many disappointed vegans turning up at an outlet after an online tip off only to see they are out of stock!!!

9. Great blog! Its fab to see co-op embracing more vegan options. Supermarkets are picking up that more and more people are becoming vegan and plant based – in the 6 years I have been vegan I’ve noticed a lot of change and much more choice. Co-op are my go to for cruelty free toiletries and vegan household cleaning which are great value too. Be good to see some vegan cheese option at co-op in the future – be nice to be able to do all my shopping in one place! But all movement in the right direction is good :0)

10. I was brought up to eat meat and I love it but I am trying to eat more healthily and broaden our choices so tho we are defiantly going to try those burgers ! We’re not long home from India and eating vegan meals is so much easier ! We had days not not even realising it was a vegan day. We see food very differently now.

• That’s wonderful to hear Scottie. I myself and a meat easter, but my partner and I have challenged ourself to go pescetarian for January and I’m loving it so far! ^Jordan

11. I love my co op.. I’m vegan and they do a vast range of products. from sweet to savoury.. and Vegan Wine.. plus they reward you with points that turn into money… i just want Vegan cheese. please CoOp ❤💛💚😘

12. Hi Sandra, we hope this blog post inspires more to try a planet-based diet or to eat a more balanced diet. Thank you for your support. Oh, and on the palm oil question, 100% of the palm oil used in Co-op products is sustainable, read more here: http://coop.uk/2mz8C2W ^Jordan

• The RSPO has been criticised for it’s certification of sustainable palm oil and many are questioning if there such a thing.
      Many vegan products now have palm oil in them when they never used to. Anyone interested in being an ethical vegan, may want to take a look at this link.

I prefer to use independent retailers and try to shop locally. The Co-op is the only supermarket I use, I would really like to see them make progressive changes and to stand by ethical standards in all things.

13. Veganism is primarily about the animals, nothing mentioned in your blog about this
    The Vegan Society was founded in 1944 because of the concerns of dairy, egg and meat production and consumption. The way in which animals are reared, transported and slaughtered is a disgrace and most people don’t want to know about it.

It’s only been in recent years that the vegan diet is seen as good for human health as well as the health of the planet.
    I wonder what Gandhi would say now about the billions of animals slaughtered every day to satisfy human greed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

And another thing! When are you going to remove palm oil from your products please?