316 words, approx 1.5 mins to read

We’ve now opened our first new shop of 2018 – in Rhayader, Wales. It’s the first of over 100 new stores and 150 renovations we’ll do this year; we reckon that’s more than the four biggest food retailers put together.

We’ll be opening shops in communities right across the UK – from Banchory in Aberdeenshire to Brighton on the South Coast – and are creating 1,600 new jobs in the process. And we also recently announced that we’ll be expanding in another way, by becoming the wholesale supplier to Costcutter and Nisa.

Why are we growing?

We want to be at the heart of local life, to bring people together and to be there for our members and customers when and where they need us. Opening the right stores, with the right products, in the right locations is really important in helping us get there.

We’ve spent a lot of time getting these three things right and every year just keeps getting better and better. Our expansion plans for 2018 will mean that the Co-op is on track to have opened over 700 new and refitted stores in three years.

Involving our members

The Co-op is owned by members, not by investors or shareholders, that’s what makes us different. We welcomed over a million new members last year, all of whom can have a say in what we do and the causes we champion.

One of the way members can get involved is by suggesting locations for new stores. If we take their suggestion forward, we’ll send them £500 worth of Co-op gift vouchers as a thank you. The next member-selected store is opening its doors in York this Spring.

If you’d like to find out more about the suggest a site scheme, read Richard Williams’ blog post about why he likes Membership and how he feels about seeing his suggested shop open and serving the community.

Tony Hind,
Head of Acquisitions and New Store Development

Read more on Co-op Food stores

1. I am delighted with the news but i feel your managers need more training in the COOP ethos and what they should be stocking. I cannot find a single fair trade decaff coffee in my 3 local COOP stores and was disgusted to find several brands of Nescafe. Even Kenco has a fairtrade policy and is working with disadvantaged youngsters. Nescafe does nothing for any community as far as I can see and is only interested in profit.

2. PLEASE set up a large coop, in Wolverhampton city centre, as in Stafford :S xx

3. i don’t know why you are opening new stores as your prices are bordering on extortion

• Sorry to hear you think this John. We’ve been working hard on our prices so that we offer every day value while supporting our local farmers and producer and Fairtrade farmers around the world. ^Catherine

• Denise: the Co-op has relinquished all interest in the Co-op Bank. Apart from still using the Co-operative name it now has nothing to do with the Co-operative movement

• John: Co-op prices should be compared to similar size stores like Tesco and Saintsbury local and not the big shed stores.
      A lot of investment has been put into addressing the price issue and the Co-op compares very well, like for like.
      The Co-op membership card is way ahead of Tesco Clubcard, too.

4. How many of these new stores will be on pubs gardens and car parks

5. Opened one in our village.you don’t employ older people why.

6. I would very much like you to open a store in Wells. You had a large store in the High Street , which was taken by “What”, they are now closing, the store is being taken by Wilkinsons , if this happens it is possible , that the hardware shop here may close, that is a good site with parking at the back. Another shop in the High Street is closing , a sign of the times.
    Would you consider opening a shop here in Wells,?
    We need a grocery store in the High Street, sure it would also be used by the tourists , that flock here. As there is a Morrisons , a Lidls, and a Waitrose all off the main thorough fare. A convenience store would be the ideal.. Is it worth continuing to look for an available site?
    Only I co-op in the area all others Southern or Radstock none in Wells.
    Apparently my co-op card is only valid in a co-op store, the, othersuse a different card, I feel this is very uncooperative way of doing business.
    I cannot understand the concept of “independent” co-ops..

7. I’m hoping Beverley Road, hull, were asda express and Aldi an kfc are, I really hope one goes around that area it’s roughly 151 Beverley Road hull area (those numbers) also by the way I’m gutted you closed the co op bank in hull as now we don’t have one at all

8. I love this bank, when I go in I recognise the same people behind the counter, I’m gutted the co op group have deceided to close this branch down, as there isn’t a co op near us for miles now 😪 I hope the staff were redeployed and not lost their jobs, I hope co op group reconsider and don’t close this branch down, if it’s the town rent take it to the kingswood area and build a combined unit of a co op food shop bank and electrical and bed building, there would be a market for this type of building, also Hull city itself is disgusted and and gutted as it’s the only branch in hull, please reconsider or follow my suggestions

9. Denise: the Co-op has relinquished all interest in the Co-op Bank. Apart from still using the Co-operative name it now has nothing to do with the Co-operative movement

10. Hi Eileen. Feel free to suggest a site to our Estates team here http://www.coop.co.uk/forms/suggest-a-site – Regarding the concept of independent co-operatives, I hope this blog post will help explain 🙂 coop.uk/differentcoops Let me know what you think. ^Ian

11. Dear Co-operative Members

Re: prospective new stores combined with opportunities for people trafficked

Would you consider opening a large store on marginal farm land to sponsor a new secondary school and surrounding estate of affordable houses? Between Bath and Chippenham off the A350 there are sites but it needs to push the envelop. This would also replace a derelict special school.

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

________________________________

12. You are supposed to be opening a store in Mullion Helston Cornwall, I believe there was talk of it opening in February this year. That clearly will not happen now as the building was obtained in September last year and no work has even started on the building yet. I would like to know what is happening please?

13. Hi Gilly. Do you have a postcode for the building you’re referring to? I’ll have a look for you. ^Ian

14. I’m a costcutter retailer in a small village and you’re opening a new coop store on my doorstep… How this that going to help me???

15. Please can you publicise your policy on single use plastics and how you plan to reduce?

16. Hello Sarah, you can find out more about our work on reducing plastic and ensuring 100% of our plastic is recyclable here – http://coop.uk/2mXvRnf ^Catherine

17. My local store badly needs a refit seen some new stores in Swansea they look lovely others you seem to have forgotten

18. heard st augustines coop bristol city centre was going to be refurbished. any idea when please ??

19. Hello Mike, all our stores with be refurbished with the new brand in the next 3 years. ^Catherine

20. Rhayader is a beautiful place and the ideal location for a Co-op store. If you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend the Red Kite centre just down the road. 🙂

21. Hi David, can you locate the store using our store finder here http://coop.uk/2n0nxmG Thanks, ^Scott

22. I’m currently a nightshift department manager with sainsburys, due to recent company announcement future redeployment may be required, would it be possible to forward my cv for review.

23. Hi Robbie, you can take it to your local Co-op store. You can also have a look at our currently job adverts here: https://jobs.coop.co.uk/ ^Siobhan