388 words approx. 1.5 minutes to read
Today we’ve released our #TheCoopWay Report – our annual review of ethics and sustainability for 2017. For the first time we’re launching our report alongside our Annual Report so our members can see the full picture of our financial and ethical performance.
Results to be proud of
This year our report includes many highlights, which all our members and our colleagues can be proud of;
- £29.7m invested in communities locally in the UK and around the world
- 54% reduction in direct greenhouse gas emissions since 2006, which means we’ve hit our reduction target three years early
- recognised as the number 1 UK campaigning business – campaigning against modern slavery and tackling loneliness with British Red Cross
- 71% of Co-op branded product packaging is easy to recyclable – we’re aiming for 80% by 2020
- first UK retailer to sell and use only Fairtrade cocoa in own-brand products
- only major retailer to offer 100% British fresh meat
- held the Fair Tax mark since 2015
- raised over £8m from sales of our bottled water to fund water projects in partnership with The One Foundation over 11 years
Doing business responsibly
This year, as part of our #TheCoopWay report, we’ve looked at how we can report on the wider social impact our Co-op generates in local communities with three independent case studies. These case studies have assessed the social value of;
- Co-op funded clean water projects in Malawi
- Co-op’s apprenticeship programme
- Co-op’s Local Community Fund
The results of these case studies are being used to shape our thinking on how we create value for our members through our Co-op difference. Read more about the approach and findings of these case studies in the report.
Our long history of campaigning supports our approach to sustainability, and this report covers the impacts of our work to tackle loneliness and modern slavery. You can read more about the steps we took in 2017 to tackle modern slavery in our business and supply chains in our 2017 Modern Slavery Statement too.
To read more on how we’re doing business responsibly and read the full report at www.coop.co.uk/sustainability.
Policy & Campaigns Director
Read more on our campaigning work here;