493 words approx. 1 minutes 30 seconds to read

Over the past 12 months Co-op Members have partnered with our teams to develop and improve our Free From range.

At first, members joined in #TheCoopWay to tell us which Free From products they would like to see in stores and most recently over 5,000 members joined in to review the changes we’ve made to the range, to help us develop our offering.

Matching Co-op Members with our new Free From products

Members who joined in were matched with new products added to our Free From range this year, which fit with their own personal requirements of gluten free, dairy free and egg free.

With 10 products to choose from, members who joined in received a choice selection of:

• Free From Muesli
  • Free From Rolled Oats
  • Free From Salt & Pepper Crackers
  • Free From Choc Pops
  • Free From Grab Bag Flapjacks
  • Free From Grab Bag Brownies
  • Free From Chocolate Digestives
  • Free From Chocolate Buttons
  • Free From Pasta
  • Free From Rocky Road Stackers

What other gluten free products are available?

Co-op Free From Oats ranked the highest

Co-op Free From oats received an impressive 8.4 out of 10, the highest mark of any of the 10 products that were reviewed by members

“It resembled a non-free from porridge which is key for coeliac. The porridge cooked perfectly in the microwave and had a pleasant texture. You could also prepare overnight oats with this product for a quick and nutritious breakfast when you are on the go.”
Charlotte, Co-op Member, Deal

Co-op Free From gluten free porridge oats

Our Free-from chocolate products were also widely appreciated by our reviewers, with our Rocky Road Stackers, Chocolate Digestives and Chocolate Buttons delighting the palates of our tasters.

“These are absolutely delicious and are just as good as regular chocolate buttons. I absolutely love these as a little snack or to use in baking. The flavour is rich and chocolatey but still ‘milky’ and they melt in your mouth.”
Charlotte, Co-op Member, Greenwich

Better Free From displays in stores

To help us develop the Free From range members also visited Co-op Food stores from Bristol to North Shields, to locate the Free From range in their local Co-op and feedback first impressions, signage, Free From products that stood out and ideas for range development.

Members also visited smaller stores and reflected on which Free From products stock in a smaller capacity

“Your own brand are competitively priced, good quality and more than a match for branded products.” Andrew, Co-op Member, Brecon

How Co-op Members have helped us

We received some amazing insights and will now be looking at what more we can do to give our Free-From displays more exposure within our stores.

Members are providing us with useful insights and feedback in this journey to help us improve our Free From range, including advice on product lines, packaging and displays.

I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has taken part so far and we look forward to working with members again for our next Free From opportunity this September.

join in #TheCoopWay

Lisa Sullivan
Brand Manager, Planning

Read more about how Co-op Members shape our Co-op;

1. More meat free options would be most welcome too

2. I have not seen a free from section in my local co-op in Bramhall. As a vegetarian i am delighted that it exists and hope to see it soon.

3. I too asked to join in and didn’t hear anything back.
    I don’t think people realise how expensive gluten free stuff is. It costs so much more than a normal diet. We don’t get more wages – the same as anyone but probably spend more than double for our weekly bits & bobs.

• Luckily I can still get bread on prescription. I agree with you. I always look at the reduced sections to see if I can find something GF that’s different.

4. My local store does not have a single item of GF Food in the frozen cabinet, never seen anything in the chilled counter either! They just have packeted things, which are expensive, so I only buy if I spot anything reduced! I usually buy from an alternative local store which has more items to choose from and their own brand items are fairly reasonably priced.

I also asked to join in but never heard anything back.

• I would also add that as someone who dislikes sweet things and prefers spicy there are very few GF products of this type, endless cakes and biscuits! I agree with other comments that for some reason GF products are far too sweet.

5. I have raised my own personal matter with my local ccop but so far I see no change… as a diabetic, I would like to see more SUGAR FREE products and perhaps as part of a general move it would be good to see healthy products – permitted fruit eg – on sale at reasonable prices. It is rather unfortunate that sufferers of diabetes have to spend more on healthy options!

• Do feel quite cross whenI look at the list of “frees” and do not see “sugar free”. Why not be the first to have these listed and sold as other super markets have not put “sugar free” on their list.

6. All good, but when will the fresh and frozen ranges catch up? I’ve seen items disappear from the shelf in my local store and the GF pizza offerings compared with normal are woeful. Be good to catch up with other providers!

7. I signed up I don’t remember being asked to try anything, it’s great to see more choices in store I just with the person treated my loaf of bread with a little more tlc … they usually squeeze it to scan at least he checkout which destroys the whole loaf 😢

8. My biggest worry with Free From is the cost. I’m a Coeliac but cannot always afford to stick to the diet because purpose made Free From food is SO expensive. It also seems to have a constant ‘sweet’ taste due to alternative flours etc being used. Most of the time, to make it more palatable, extra fats & sugars are added….not exactly healthy.

• I quite agree that free from food is too expensive.
      Also the sugars are not palatable, why do we need to suffer when we are already suffering due to not unhealthy eating.My problem derives from food poisoning !!! beware we are all susceptable to unscrupulous outside sources.
      Co-op free from spaghetti changed my whole family when they thoroughly enjoyed a great bolognese thought i had made the pasta myself, noone had digestive problems or bloated stomachs! Thumbs up CO-OP but please sell it in all stores not just a few!