331 words approx. 1.5 minutes to read
Over 1,000 Co-op Members joined in #TheCoopWay to share their views on what makes a good neighbour and have shaped the way we approach the upcoming Co-op Insurance Neighbour of the Year Awards, in partnership with Neighbourhood Watch.
What makes a good neighbour?
We asked Co-op Members to create the perfect criteria, to help us judge what makes a good neighbour. Every entry into our Co-op Insurance Neighbour of the Year Awards will be judged against this criteria.
Whilst sadly we couldn’t include Tom Hardy and Kylie Minogue in the criteria (as suggested by Co-op Members), we have chosen the best attributes that our members say describe what makes the best neighbour.
According to our members, a good neighbour is:
- willing to look out for their neighbours, such as keeping an eye on the house
- social and friendly – happy for a chat or a party invitation
- willing to offer practical help – from taking in parcels to help with the plumbing
- kind, caring & respectful, more specifically thinking about the impact you have on your neighbours.
Thank you for helping shape the Neighbour of the Year Awards
It’s great to see community spirit prevalent in so many communities across the UK. I am bowled over by the wonderful stories and insights shared by our members. We also heard:
- 89% had “good neighbours”, whilst 95% thought they were “good neighbours”
- 41% said they speak to their neighbours daily
- around a quarter of members visit their neighbours’ homes at least once a week
- almost one in three (29%) have never invited their neighbours over for a chat
- good neighbours are regularly found taking in parcels, keeping an eye on the house and helping with rubbish bins
Do you have a neighbour who goes that extra mile for you and others in your community? If so, keep an eye on our join in opportunities for our upcoming Co-op Insurance and Neighbourhood Watch, Neighbour of the Year awards. Log in to your member account and to get involved in our current join in opportunities.
Head of Home Insurance