438 words approx. 2.5 minutes to read
Our Co-op is owned by you, our members. Your little blue card, your Membership is a share in our business. This means you can have a say in how it’s run, deciding on many things from products we sell to causes we support.
Our National Members’ Council play a very important part in our democracy.
Our National Members’ Council is here to make sure your voices and interests are heard at the highest level in our business.
Why do we have a National Members’ Council?
The Council is the ‘guardian’ of Co-op values and principles, which means it has the collective responsibility of making sure that our Board never loses sight of what matters most to our business and our members.
Holding them to account is a key part of being on Council but we’re also here to act as a link for our members and represent your views.
How does our National Members’ Council put our members first?
We work collaboratively to make sure we’re discussing all the important areas of being a business, and a Co-op. Regularly meeting in smaller groups, called committees, we look into specific issues that represent our members and form key themes to bring to the Board’s attention.
An example of some of the fantastic work that’s shaped within our committees is our Member Pioneer programme. Council played a crucial part in developing the programme and making sure it stays at the forefront of our community and member strategy. We’ve also helped with the selection and recruitment process, building links between local Council members and new Member Pioneers.
Get involved and help us to make a difference
Having a share in our Co-op means having your say. There are many ways to get involved.
- Join in with Member Participation and easily shape Co-op products, services and policies. There are new opportunities each month to get involved in, some of which include free products to try.
- Join us at one of our Join In Live events across the country
- Contact your local Member Pioneer to find out ways they can help support your local community. Or perhaps become a Member Pioneer yourself.
- Elect members like you to represent you on the Members’ Council
- Stand for election yourself to the Members’ Council, nominations open online on 9 January 2019. 1000 points from spending across our Co-op businesses, an interest in a co-operative way of working, and an energy to represent our 4.6 million active members is what you need. Login to your membership account to check your eligibility.
President of the National Members’ Council
Read more on our democracy at our Co-op;