346 words approx. 1.5 minutes to read

We’re proud to sponsor Love British Food and the annual British Food Fortnight, a celebration of British food suppliers, British farmers and growers. British food is something we’re passionate about, and we know it’s important to you too.

FutureOfFood

Supporting British from A to Z

We’re supporting the next generation of British farmers

In 2016, we launched our Farming Pioneers programme which has connected young farmers and growers from our supply chain across the UK, allowing them to network, share skills and improve their business relationships. There are now over 50 farmers in this community. By 2019 over 100 young farmers will have started on the programme.

Since May 2017 we’ve only sold 100% British Co-op fresh beef, lamb, pork, bacon and turkey in our stores. All of our Co-op branded chilled products, like sandwiches and pies, only contain British meat too.

Additionally, our pork is RSPCA Assured and outdoor-bred, unlike other retailers, our lamb is always 100% British all year round.

Extending our market-leading commitment to our fresh vegetables

It’s not just meat either, we’re working with British asparagus, sugar snap and fennel growers alongside Lancashire-based chilli growers and regional potato, leek, cauliflower and broccoli farmers.

This year, our crop of carrots and parsnips have been 100% British and stocking British vegetables is something we’ll continue to do. Even if they’re a little misshapen, like our British Marvellous Misshaped veg.

Stocking the full crop of vegetables means we reduce food waste and get more of the great-tasting British vegetables we know our customers and members want to see in-store.

Jayne Bennett
Assistant Product Developer

Read more on British farming and how we reduce food waste at our Co-op;

1. This is excellent news, however if you can hand on heart say that you have a full bolt stun slaughter policy, i.e. NOT religiously slaughtered (RS), you will wipe the floor with all the other supermarkets…..that is a promise.
    People are waking up to the fact that all meat is religiously slaughtered & they don’t like it!! It is also against the law to sell RS meat to the non muslim community.
    You can be the VERY FIRST to have no halal slaughtered meat on your shelves…So people before you buy meat from co-op, check the UK slaughter code.

• I think all meat from animals killed without stunning should be labelled. If people choose to eat non-stun meat because of their religion,we don’t try to stop them,so why should we be stoppped from eating meat from animals that have been stunned beforehand? I think it is barbaric not to stun pre slaughter, and I want to know if I am being offered such meat..

2. All very well supporting British farmers but try looking after your staff as well. Most staff don’t even get there proper breaks throughout the companies convenience stores and are used more like robots than people

3. It is an excellent policy to only sell British Meat in our stores. However I am finding it more difficult to find joints of meat particularly Shoulders half Shoulders, Legs and half legs of Lamb.(Plenty of nice Chickens). In years gone by members and customers would often look out for the seasons New Zealand Lamb which was always very good. However happy to buy British lamb if I can actually get it in my Co-op Store. Blackfen in Bexley S E London is my nearest larger store. Hawley Rd Dartford my nearest convenience Store. See what you can do to save me being forced to shop for my Sunday Joint else where !!!

4. Thanks for the comment, Gillian, we’ll always try and provide British produce first. ^Scott

5. Hi, Alan. We’re working finding alternatives to plastic as well as reducing the amount of packaging overall. Find out how we’re reducing plastic waste #TheCoopWay here http://coop.uk/plasticwaste Cheers, ^Scott

6. There seems to be a renaissance in the Co-op that is encouraging and heartening with so many new initiatives. I am impressed by all this. Nevertheless, I am still exercised by the pre-packaging and will not buy broccoli, courgettes, carrots, apples or whatever that are already packaged. Why do you find it necessary to use so much single-use plastic when it is not necessary?

7. Hi,
    I’m so glad you also support funny shaped veg, the sooner we stop throwing good food away because it doesn’t look perfect, the better! Other supermarkets need to follow your example. Incidentally, I made a decision some time ago not to buy things out of season with lots of airmiles,like sugar snap peas and fine beans from Guatemala, and to try and use local veg where possible. I lived on Isle of Wight for many years and their garlic was superb! so why do we buy it from Spain? I realise you have to import some things, but let’s put homegrown first!

8. Congratulations to the Co-op on their work with British farmers. Hopefully the work will extend to include more apple farmers and we can once again enjoy the wonderful varieties of British apples there are. Beauty of Bath, Jonathans, Cox’s Orange Pippins, etc. etc. and in a variety of sizes please, all the New Zealand and French apples seem to be the same size, perfectly symmetrical and rock hard with little flavour. Please can we have a range of misshapen fruit too. Whilst I appreciate that some things only grow in warmer climes I always look for the Union flag when shopping in my Co-op and want to find it on as much as possible. Whilst writing I’d like to say what a tonic it is to shop in my Co op, the staff, without exception are super, always welcoming and helpful. I won’t name any one of them – they are all super. It’s a bit run down in the shop with often problems with the freezers or heating but the staff battle on. I just hope they’re really valued by HQ and paid what they deserve.

9. Well done!

• I agree with Rae Boxall ,my store too is rundown but the staff are always cheery ,we are getting a refit soon so l look forward to that .l also agree with Rae about the apples .
      Well done to the Coop about buying British ,l too look for the flag when buying ,may you go from strength to strength .