December 21, 2018

Co-op is returning to healthcare

416 words approx. 2 minutes to read

Earlier this year I introduced the Ventures team, our mission and why what we’re doing is important for our Co-op. In the 6 months that followed, not only have we launched our first venture, local.co.uk we’ve also decided to close it, taking with us some key learnings to pursue our latest focus in health and wellbeing, Co-op Health.

In a word, we’ve been busy. So, let me quickly bring you up to speed.

Testing an online, co-operative, marketplace

Our online marketplace, local.co.uk was the first venture we tested. We were looking at disrupting online marketplace businesses with our co-operative model. In the few months the site was live we served many customers from right across the country; customers buying handmade and locally sourced homewares, toys and pet accessories from real local vendors and makers.

In true iterative venturing fashion, we built it, tested it, learnt a lot and now we’re moving on. We’re looking for markets where our co-operative business model can add real value to customers and members.

Thank you to those of our Co-op colleagues, customers and Members who, along with us, tested local.co.uk and purchased from one of our many amazing partners.

An online repeat prescription service from Co-op Health

You may have heard that, as part of our work to deliver a new business venture in the health and wellbeing sector, we bought another business: Dimec.

Dimec was founded by two Pharmacists, Chris and Andrew, and is an online service allowing NHS patients to have their repeat prescriptions delivered right to their door by pairing with their GP surgery.

So, yes, our Co-op is reentering the pharmacy market, just in a very different way.

Over the last few months, we’ve been hiring the Pharmacy dispensing team and have been making sure our operation is ready to receive, dispense and deliver orders to customers using the service. From this week, Dimec customers that choose home delivery will start receiving their medicines from Co-op Health, dispensed from our new Pharmacy within Co-op’s Depot at Lea Green.

Next year, we’ll launch the Co-op Health business to the nation.

For now, find Co-op Health on Facebook and Twitter.

Innovation at our Co-op

Alongside our colleagues in the Digital team, we’re based in The Federation. The Federation is a community of Digital businesses and innovators built on co-operative values in Manchester. Stay updated on all venturing and innovation at Co-op:

Tim Davies
Director of Ventures

Read more on innovation at our Co-op:

1. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. Therapy

2. Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.Caron Reviews

3. Can you suggest to me which multivitamins to take at the moment? That would include Vitamin D as you say, but are you also Vegan? If you have any idea please suggest me. I shall be very thankful to you.detox

4. Hi, Improve your mental health is not an easy task. Our mental health requires you to prioritize your self-care. This can include a wide variety of different habits. Spend your time with your loved one, use fresh fruits, increase the use of water and sleep a full night then our mental health remains healthy.Managing Chronic Pain in Athens

5. Now i tell you something multivitamins, omega-3, probiotics, and vitamin D supplements are the best supplement for any human. According to my knowledge, every healthy person should use supplements. Fish is the best source of omega 3 which play the best role in our body. It saves us from many diseases.esthetician equipment packages

6. This is a great workout trainer for general fitness and activity tracking. There is a free and a paid version. The free version does give you access to a lot of the tools that will help you be successful in reaching your fitness goals.excelsus z blocker

7. Thanks for sharing this information. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very enjoyable and informative. I’d really like to help appreciate it with the efforts you get with writing this post.What is Depression?

8. Women are an important part of society so the health of the woman also has great importance. Gum diseases are most common in many countries and it is difficult to prevent gum diseases. I want to thanks for the ways that you mention in the article to prevent gum diseases. lumibett

9. Health was earlier said to be the ability of the body functioning well. However, as time evolved, the definition of health also evolved. It cannot be stressed enough that health is the primary thing after which everything else follows. When you maintain good health, everything else falls into place.ultrasonic massage machine

10. The facts demonstrate that having a solid emotional supportive network can have an incredible effect and assurance advance. It is likewise fun and moving to accomplish your wellbeing objectives with your adoration ones. Eating well together and working out ought to be a decent begin. thanks.grand island spa

11. I have stiff shoulders after using a computer for a long time. A good work-out with weights always seems to make that go away. Well, the information that you share in the article very informative. I really admired this. Solift

12. It brings a positive change in thinking. Due to the daily hard work, our mind is bound in this case we need some relaxation. So in this way travel is a resource to improve mental health.TORQ Physical Therapy

13. This is unique but it is useful for health. A strong support system is very important a medicare. Our society needs such healthcare.

14. Hi ash! What an amazing place!!! So happy we’ve visited it! Really. For us it was as marvelous as the casa Batllo , but in other ways. Thank you for the tips! Cheers.hasta yatağı

15. It’s true that having a strong support system can make a great difference and guarantee progress. It is also fun and inspiring to achieve your health goals with your love ones. Eating healthy together and working out should be a good start.blue light glasses

16. It was great meeting you at the Crest event! I love your selfie with Dr. Stork…so cool!RECEPT

17. That sitting posture is an important one! I have found that it is also quite helpful to work over my computer desk so I have room to spread out my project and rest my elbows if I need to. Of course, this also gives me the opportunity to stream TV episodes or movies – I have to pay attention to what I doing with the pattern or I will end up making a mistake. I both knit and crochet; I don’t really have a strong preference for either, although I have noticed that some things come out better if they are done one way. I just got myself a Boye ergonomic crochet hook handle – it comes with different size rubber washers for each size metal hook . It reminds me of a Playskool toy, but it does help prevent wrist pain, especially with the smaller hooks.
    cbd extract

18. I think the co-op is the best health care for health. This is unique but it is useful for health. A strong support system is very important a medicare. Our society needs such healthcare.

19. Co-op is best healthcare is the dose to use for the best health. This is very unique but very useful for the health. The person who used this must be agree with me there is no comparison of this tablets. You can thankful after using this.

20. I dare not venture in in my wheelchair, narrow aisles, fear of blocking them. Houses are going up thick and fast in Rudgwick. We need bigger/ extended premises with more space at the check out area. No complaints about the manager.

21. It’s true that having a strong support system can make a great difference and guarantee progress. It is also fun and inspiring to achieve your health goals with your love ones. Eating healthy together and working out should be a good start.

22. Looking forward to you doing something innovative and fast (enough)

23. On Line MArket Place, good idea. My concern is with our local Co-op (Rudgwick) . Good Manager, helpful staff but not enough space, especially at the check out. I dare not venture in in my wheelchair, narrow aisles, fear of blocking them. Houses are going up thick and fast in Rudgwick. We need bigger/ extended premises with more space at the check out area. No complaints about the manager, he is involved with the local community. Philomena Leech Rudgwick ________________________________

24. Great to Know if Tim’s reference to the ‘nation’ is one or four UK nations?

25. It is good to see the coop coming back to the pharmacy business
    Maybe the coop could enter into the health market such as gp surgeries or opticians
    Best wishes
    Philip watson

26. Thanks for the prediction. Very helpful. Reality is that pharmacy needs disruption. Clearly, this is an unpopular view if you have a vested interest in things staying just as they are as the existing industry mostly does – but it has barely altered in the 25 years I have known the it and digital only players still command less than 1% of the entire market. The reasons for this are multiple, but complexity in the digital customer journey is a big one.

It would be romantic to think that while other industries are changing beyond recognition, and rapidly – pharmacy will remain the same. I disagree. We sold our old bricks and mortar business at the top of the market and now have an opportunity to reinvent for the 21st century without the legacy which most agree makes corporate innovation very difficult. Disrupting yourself is never easy.

We’ve got several other things going on in Ventures also, and I do strongly believe in experimentation but I do think that after a number of false starts in digital and with very little consumer product to show for it – we need to balance the theory with commercial thinking, deep industry understanding and opportunities that have good adjacency to our existing businesses.

Thought the link below, published a couple of weeks ago may be interesting to explain my thinking – applicable not just in ventures but anywhere really.

^Tim.

27. Tim sticks to his knitting as a former Director of Pharmacy and opens a new Pharmacy business. Pharmacy, an already crowded market with limited opportunities for disruption but low risk. I predict this will be the only Venture and the function will be renamed in an OD in 2019.

• Personally, I think having someone experienced in running Pharmacies is a good person to run Co-op’s venture into Healthcare.

As Tim mentioned in a blog post a few months back, when introducing the new ventures team, “our world is faced with unprecedented challenges. But, with challenge, comes a need and an opportunity to serve it. People are living longer and with ever-complex health needs, young people are facing financial pressures their parents did not. We can see markets that are failing or broken in these areas and more.”

So, as well as this latest venture (our second so far) the team will be exploring others in 2019 and beyond.

^Jordan