Co-op Membership has changed
Since the publication of this article Co-op membership has changed – we are giving even more back to your community. Every time you buy selected Co-op branded products and services money goes to you and your community too. Find out more about Co-op Membership or download the app now.
500 words approx. 3-4 minutes to read.
If you’ve shopped at Co-op before, you will know that fairness and support for local communities is at the heart of our business. From working to reduce food waste and improving children’s lives in the UK, to funding water, sanitation and hygiene programmes in Africa, we genuinely care about the world we share – it’s what we do.
You might have come across the name Social Saturday or seen the #BuySocial hashtag on social media recently. They’re both part of a week-long campaign, called Buy Social for a Better World, run by Social Enterprise UK, in partnership with our Co-op. The campaign is about celebrating and increasing support for social enterprises – businesses that trade for a social or environmental purpose.
At Co-op, we do business differently. Just by shopping with us, it’s easy to support fantastic initiatives like Fairtrade, the Co-op Local Community Fund, Co-op Member Pioneers and Co-op Academies.
- How does Co-op support local causes
- Co-op supporting children’s education
- Help us save endangered spaces in the UK
How you can get involved
One of the things that makes us different as a business is the fact that we’re owned by our members, not by big investors. This means that, as a Co-op Member, you get to have a say in how we’re run. It also means that, every time you buy Co-op branded products in store, 5%* of your spend goes back into your membership account, and a further 1%* goes to local causes in your community. The best part is that you can choose which cause your own 1% goes to.
While we’re super-proud of our support for social and environmental initiatives, we’re not the only business doing this – far from it. There are around 470,000 social enterprises doing amazing work out there, a number of which we stock in our stores, such as, Brewgooder Lager, who aim to provide clean water for 1M people by donating 100% of their profits to clean water charities. Toast ale also donate their profits to charity to help fix the food system. And BeCo Hand Soap’s products create jobs for people in the UK who are visually impaired, disabled or disadvantaged.
A number of Co-op Members have been trying out some of these products and sharing their product reviews with us – read what they thought and how you can get involved in future opportunities like this here.
So tell your friends, get out and #BuySocial for a better world.
Read more on how we’re building stronger communities at our Co-op;
- When you buy British veg, you’re supporting more than just British farmers
- Transforming this space has brought new life to our community
- Thank you for helping me build stronger communities
* Members earn 5% + 1% when they buy selected Co-op branded products and services from selected Co-op Group businesses. 1% goes to local causes. Not available in independent societies including Midcounties, Central England, Southern or Chelmsford Star co-operatives or in non-Co-op branded stores (such as Nisa or Costcutter). Exclusions and restrictions apply. See Membership terms and conditions at coop.co.uk/membership