Approx 491 word. 2.5 mins to read.

We’ve been working with Co-op members to develop a new member-inspired crisp flavour to add to our irresistible range. With the new crisps hitting shelves this month, Kaushik Paul explains the inspiration behind his winning flavour.

When I received my Join In email last July, I saw Co-op was looking for members to share their favourite food flavours to help develop a new crisp flavour for its Irresistible range.

I’m an avid food fan. I enjoy cooking and I even run my own foodie blog, so I thought it was something I could definitely get involved with.

I like strong, bold flavours and both me and my daughter Roisin  love steak, so I decided to take some inspiration from a memorable steak meal we enjoyed at Restaurant Vincent in Brussels a few years ago.

I remember watching in awe as the peppercorn sauce was prepared by the side of our table live in front of us. The whole experience and the taste stayed with us for a long time. It’s the reason why I suggested Steak & Peppercorn Sauce as my crisp flavour idea.

With Co-op receiving more than 4,500 meat and vegetarian crisp flavour ideas, I really didn’t think my suggestion would go all the way,  so I was surprised to learn that it had made the initial shortlist in August.

I was then overwhelmed when, thanks to members’ votes, my Steak & Peppercorn Sauce combination made it to the final three, alongside BBQ Pork Spare Ribs and Chicken Fajitas flavoured crisps.

It is humbling to know that as well as thousands of members voting for my flavour online, hundreds more also chose it as their favourite at taste test sessions held at Join In Live events across the UK in September.

It was a bit of a shock when I was told that my flavour creation was chosen as the overall winner. In fact, I had to read the email a few times to make sure it sunk in.

I know both myself and Roisin will feel very proud when we see packets of my Irresistible Hand Cooked Steak & Peppercorn Sauce flavoured crisps on shelves in my local West Heath store in Birmingham.

The Food team at Co-op has kindly sent me a case of the crisps for us to enjoy at home, and they’ve also sent some to the care home where I work, which is a much-needed treat right now.

The flavour is really appealing too. Described as deliciously meaty and seasoned with succulent Aberdeen Angus grilled steak and punchy peppercorn sauce, I can’t wait for other crisp lovers to try them.

It’s amazing to think that more than 20,000 Co-op members got involved over the three stages of this competition. Opportunities like this are a great way for Co-op to ask and acknowledge the opinion of their members. I’m certainly glad I joined in.

Let us know what you think of our new Irresistible Steak & Peppercorn crisps on TwitterInstagram or Facebook @coopuk.

Kaushik Paul
Co-op Member

Read more on members getting involved with Co-op;

1. 🙌 ^Jamie

2. Hmmm yum sound delicious 😋 xant wait to try them

3. So out of 4,500 entries the winner was steak and pepper sauce? Not the most original of ideas. Disappointed with all three flavours shortlisted to be honest and the fact they are all meat. P.S. I did enter the competition (several times) and I’m not a vegetarian!

• I agree Herby. I’m not vegan but to think that the flavours that made it were Peppercorn Steak, BBQ Pork & Chicken Fajitas makes you wonder what the selection process, and indeed the aim was. If it’s vox pop then fair play, but some stats/insight into the selection process would be enlightening.
      No doubt congrats to Kaushik & Roisin of course; it must be great to see your idea packaged and on our shelves.

• Hi Naz, what flavour did you suggest? 😊 ^Scott

• That’s because most of us are normal omnivores and eat what we fancy or can get our hands on. There is too much faddy eating in the 1st World when there are people starving in the 3rd World. Even those who eat, of have little choice and crave better. What we eat is a personal choice, don’t impose your selfish notions on the rest of us. ……. Jim

4. Let us know what you think when you do James 🙂 ^Cat

5. Can’t wait to try them!

6. In a time when meat consumption is a main driving force of Climate change and it is advisable to cut down on meat consumption, not to mention the cruelty involved in the meat industry. This is a bit of an own goal by the Co-op really.

• An own goal? Absolute rubbish. Why bother commenting except to push your own agenda? For the majority who eat meat these look delicious and I can’t wait to try them – well done!

• Shame on you. The man likes meat, why not it’s in our genes, well most people have them but clearly not you. I don’t like most spices and avoid peppers of any description. Aberdeen Angus has superb flavour especially when well cooked. It doesn’t need peppercorn. Why don’t you have the peppercorn and I’ll have the beef.

7. HI Ian, thank you so much for taking the time to message in about the Co-op 80 years ago. I imagine you could tell us a few stories of life back then. Take care and stay safe. Best Wishes ^Andrea

8. I remember the NI COOP since I was a child 80 years ago I’m 86 now our #26734 divi then on everything. We then had £80 in shares. You originally could get credit up to your share holding. The credit was used to buy winter clothes.

9. Well done Kaushik. They sound really nice. Look forward to trying them. ^Andrea

10. Well done Kaushik. I don’t eat steak but I am sure many do and will enjoy your crisps. For those vegans why did you not compete too then you might have got what you wanted.

11. meat flavoured crisps…. not a good idea.

12. My family and i are vegans- is there one for them

• Yes, buy some Co-op spuds, slice them and fry in Co-op margarine. Only use electricity for cooking as gas maybe animal derived ( millions of years ago or even up to date from your local refuse tip.). Even the electricity may be gas derived on the National Grid. Maybe best just to chew a raw carrot 🥕. That is fairly safe except for pesticides of course. Don’t think organic are chemical free, unless you grow your own, they are not.