Approx 427 words.
Think you know your fruit cake from your figgy pudding? Test your knowledge with a Christmas quiz that will eek out the festive fans from the fakes. Once the turkey’s been gobbled and the presents passed around, gather your household, appoint a quizmaster and pit your wits against each other!
Better yet, make it a family and friends affair and host a virtual quiz if you’re unable to see everyone this Christmas. After all, nothing brings people together quite like some good old-fashioned competition…
Or, if everyone wants to get involved, you can print off a downloadable PDF version to hand out to participants. Simply swap sheets when you’re ready to mark!
The Co-op Christmas quiz
1. From which country do the festive biscuits lebkuchen originate?
2. Which Christmas dessert is traditionally made on Stir-up Sunday?
(Answer: Christmas pudding)
3. Which Italian cake made with dried fruit is popular at Christmas?
4. Which ocean is Christmas Island situated in?
(Answer: Indian Ocean)
5. Traditionally, mincemeat should only be stirred in a certain direction. Which way is it: clockwise or anticlockwise?
6. On what day do Christmas celebrations begin in Germany?
(Answer: 24 December)
7. What’s the star sign of someone born on 25 December?
8. Which character sings the song Let It Go in the film Frozen?
(Answer: Queen Elsa)
9. In which fictional land is it ‘always winter but never Christmas’?
10. What is the name of the town in Dr Seuss’ The Grinch?
11. Finish the sentence: ‘Twas the night before Christmas…’
(Answer: ‘When all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse’.)
12. How many ghosts are there in A Christmas Carol?
13. When was the last widespread white Christmas in the UK?
14. Which of these is NOT a Christmas emoji? A Christmas tree, a sleigh or a candy cane?
(Answer: A candy cane)
15. What is a female turkey called?
(Answer: A hen)
16. What does ‘mince pies’ mean in cockney rhyming slang?
17. In what year was the song Last Christmas released?
18. Which Christmas advert features a song by Oasis?
19. Who wrote the music for the ballet The Nutcracker?
20. Which actor played five different roles in The Polar Express?
(Answer: Tom Hanks)
Let us know how you do!
You can always brush up on your festive food knowledge by checking out our Christmas recipes.