‘Health and wellbeing’ is the next subject area to go under the member-scope, as I look to get your views on this key policy area for your Co-op.
And I’d like the discussion to be every bit as much about our mental and emotional health, wellbeing and happiness as it is about our physical health.
We all know that exercising, and eating and sleeping well can help to improve our physical health. We’re doing lots in our food stores to reduce fat, sugar and salt in our products and to offer a wide range of delicious, inspiring healthier choices for all customers, including those with special dietary needs. We also ensure our products carry easy-to-understand, traffic light labelling that helps with quick, informed diet choices.
But the vital ingredients of well-being are maybe not quite so well understood.
I like this take on wellbeing, developed by the New Economics Foundation, which emphasises just how important it is to connect with those around us, participate in community life and learn new things. These everyday actions promote good physical, emotional and mental health and wellbeing, leading to happy lives.
As a community retailer, our stores have a role to play in helping to make some of those connections. And our response goes further still:
- Our Local Community Fund is helping people to participate in community life by supporting local causes.
- Our Funeralcare business encourages connections through support groups that provide an opportunity for people to meet and make new friends with others experiencing bereavement.
- And our Charity Partnership with the British Red Cross is helping people who are experiencing loneliness to re-connect with their communities.
Right now I’m keen to hear what you think about our approach to healthy living, as we take a look at our Co-op policies, so please add a comment below. Here’s a few pointers to get you started:
- Is this issue important to you? If not, why not?
- Whose responsibility is your health and wellbeing?
- What more can the Co-op do to promote healthier, happier lifestyles?
- Do you see the Co-op as a trusted source of information when it comes to healthy living. If not, why?
I’ll be replying to comments, so please join the conversation!
Paul, Group Policy Director